Archives for November 2013
With autumn ending fast, the leaves changing and dropping from the trees, we all know that winter is soon upon us. Most often, we remember to check our furnace or heating system for full functionality (and it’s even easier with our Service Contracts), but there are some other smaller maintenance items that are sometimes forgotten.
Here Are a Few Helpful Tips to Get Your Home Ready for Winter:
- Be sure to disconnect all hoses to outdoor faucets and spigots. Residual water in a garden hose can freeze and cause freezing inside the faucet that will present itself as a full-blown flood during the spring thaw.
- Turn off your sprinklers and blow out any underground sprinkler systems. The ground freezes up to 14” below the surface in open flat areas during the winter.
- Test and optimize your furnace before you need it. The worst thing would be to return home on the first sub-freezing day of the season and find out you don’t have heat.
- Change your furnace filters regularly. The air you breathe all winter comes through that filter, and a clean filter vastly increases efficiency, meaning more heat for less money.
- Purchase and install a carbon monoxide detector. CO is an odorless and potentially deadly gas. We recommend a CO detector with a digital readout to warn you when the levels are increasing before they become dangerous
With these five tips you can get the most out of Utah winter without running into plumbing and heating problems. Manwill Plumbing and Heating offers annual furnace service contracts that provide you maintenance and peace of mind when it comes to ensuring your home heating system is up to snuff. The best part: if you’re under contact, we’ll call you to schedule an annual appointment. The contract even provides you with discounts on other furnace services and, if necessary, replacements and repairs. With winter on our heels, now is the best time to prepare. Contact us today at 801-262-4671 to set an appointment and learn more about our service contract program.
Growing up in the plumbing business I have seen a lot of changes. Plumbing fixtures and styles have changed a lot. The efficiencies of low flow toilets, touchless faucets, and water less urinals are just to name a few. Fixtures are cosmetically pleasing and can provide quite a nice finishing touch to the kitchen or bathroom these days.
The other day I was visiting my grandmother’s home for a family get together. While I was passing the bathroom the colored fixtures in her bathroom happen to catch my eye. Peach! Everything was peach, the toilet, basin, and the bath tub. Oh my! I started thinking about all the colors I have seen in customer’s homes through the years. Avocado green, harvest gold, canary yellow. I’m not sure what our parents and grandparents where thinking!!!
It’s a scary thought because history tends to repeats itself. Can you imagine an avocado or harvest gold jetted tub? With all the things in life that seem to go in cycles the faucet I hope to never see again is the white kitchen faucet. However, if you are one of the few who still has a white faucet.
Manwill Plumbing and Heating a call. We can keep your faucet working as good as new and keep you in style for the near future.