With autumn ending fast, the leaves changing and dropping from the trees, we all know that winter is soon upon us. Most often, we remember to check our furnace or heating system for full functionality (and it’s even easier with our Service Contracts), but there are some other smaller maintenance items that are sometimes forgotten.
Here Are a Few Helpful Tips to Get Your Home Ready for Winter:
- Be sure to disconnect all hoses to outdoor faucets and spigots. Residual water in a garden hose can freeze and cause freezing inside the faucet that will present itself as a full-blown flood during the spring thaw.
- Turn off your sprinklers and blow out any underground sprinkler systems. The ground freezes up to 14” below the surface in open flat areas during the winter.
- Test and optimize your furnace before you need it. The worst thing would be to return home on the first sub-freezing day of the season and find out you don’t have heat.
- Change your furnace filters regularly. The air you breathe all winter comes through that filter, and a clean filter vastly increases efficiency, meaning more heat for less money.
- Purchase and install a carbon monoxide detector. CO is an odorless and potentially deadly gas. We recommend a CO detector with a digital readout to warn you when the levels are increasing before they become dangerous
With these five tips you can get the most out of Utah winter without running into plumbing and heating problems. Manwill Plumbing and Heating offers annual furnace service contracts that provide you maintenance and peace of mind when it comes to ensuring your home heating system is up to snuff. The best part: if you’re under contact, we’ll call you to schedule an annual appointment. The contract even provides you with discounts on other furnace services and, if necessary, replacements and repairs. With winter on our heels, now is the best time to prepare. Contact us today at 801-262-4671 to set an appointment and learn more about our service contract program.